As usual, I have nothing earth-shattering to write about. The Hubs and I finally went to the State Fair of Texas this past weekend. How do we always manage to end up going during the OU/Texas game? There were 5 million people there, roughly 1/3 of which were barely dressed college students. It was fun, but I was very happy to be heading home.
I am preparing to have surgery to fix an issue I’ve been dealing with for several years now. I’ve never had surgery and am both excited and anxious about it. The surgery will be of the DaVinci variety, which means a robot will be sticking it’s little robot arms and fingers into my body instead of a surgeon. That’s kind of freaky.
My fantasy football season is progressing beautifully. I am somehow 5-0. Woot woot! There is only one other 5-0 team, and we play each other this coming weekend. I guess our little staring contest will be forced to come to an end. (**fingers crossed!**)
MuckFest MS is this frickin’ weekend. I could not possibly be less prepared for a 5K mud run. I may die face-down in a mud puddle. I hope that I have entertained at least one reader before I die. Do I have one reader? Hello, hello, hello….is there anybody out there?….
Anyway. I hope you are all well and trudging through your week as painlessly as possible.
Peace and fried Twinkie grease!
Song of the day:
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Book of the day:
After You by Jojo Moyes. This is the sequel to Me Before You, which was on my list of painful literary deaths from my last post. I am not finding this book quite as good as its predecessor, but I’m not giving up. I’m only about half way through. And, after that I have yet another Jojo Moyes book waiting for me on my Overdrive player.
Recipe of the day:
Buttery Coconut Bars via http://www.tasteofhome.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13×9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and salt; stir in 1 cup melted butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven filling ingredients until blended; stir in 3 cups coconut. Pour over crust; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
I also toasted a bit of fresh coconut in some coconut oil to sprinkle on top before I cooked them. It was a nice touch. These things are wonderful. You will hurt yourself on them.