Happy 2017! I had a really wonderful long weekend. How about y’all? The Hubs and I spent the weekend in Shreveport/Bossier City. We watched Sing, which was cute. We pigged out a couple of times. We went to the NYE party at Harrah’s and watched their firework show. And then I spent most of today doing chores and art projects. I get frustrated doing art projects, but I also enjoy them immensely. I have a whole stack of half-done canvases in my spare room from starting projects for loved ones, hating them, and eventually abandoning them. But, today I made something for my office, and I mostly like it.
For Christmas, I gave my mom an essential oil diffuser and a small selection of oils. I am interested in investing in these things for myself. There are so many uses for essential oils, and there seems to be a combination of oils to treat whatever in the world may ail you. Migraines? Check. Allergies? Check. Stress? Check. Stub your toe? Have a miserable job? Wanted by the police? Check, check, and check. Okay. Maybe not those last three…..
I have also been looking into DIY toiletry items that are made with essential oils such as bath bombs, lip glosses, beard oils, etc. I really think that I am going to start making some of these. Have you made anything with essential oils? Were you happy with the results? What got me interested was an $8 bath bomb the size of a softball that The Hubs bought for me. It was made with orange essential oil, and the moment I lowered myself into the tub, every one of my itchy eczema spots stopped itching. It was amazing. And, my skin felt more supple than it has in years. I spent the rest of the evening petting my own arm. Ha!
In an earlier post, I mentioned a 30-day exercise challenge. That challenge began today. Actually, I am doing two of them simultaneously. Both were found on http://www.darebee.com. One is the Boxer challenge, and the other is the Cardio & Abs challenge. Whew! Doing both meant that today I did 3 sets of 20 high knees and 20 climbers with 1 minute rest followed by 4 sets of 1 minute high knees and 1 minute rest. Needless to say, I was a bit (a lot) wobbly when I was done. I hope you’ll consider doing a challenge with us!
Also, our 2017 Reading Challenge kicked off yesterday. Busy start to the year!
I hope you all have a blessed rest-of-the-week and an amazing 2017!
Song of the Day
Be As You Are by Mike Posner. I love the message in this song.
Book of the Day
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Another guilty pleasure YA fiction read. I recommended this to my niece who does not read for pleasure a few years back, and she begrudgingly reported to me that she liked it. The narrator is a teenage girl who committed suicide. This makes me sound like a bad aunt, doesn’t it? What a recommendation. It’s good, though. I swear…..
Recipe of the Day
Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip via http://www.lifemadesimplebakes.com. So. Good. And not so unhealthy….
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. (1 block) ⅓ less fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 16 oz. plain Greek yogurt (non-fat, 1% or 2%)
- 1 c. shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 12-14 oz. marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Place a Dutch oven or a medium size pot over medium-low heat. Add the butter, melt then add the jalapeño. Sauté for a minute or two, then add the minced garlic and cook until translucent and fragrant. Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt and parmesan cheese and turn heat up to medium. Whisk continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and begins to bubble, about 4 minutes or so.
- Add the seasonings along with the chopped artichoke hearts and thawed/drained spinach. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, whisking or stirring to prevent any burning. Remove and enjoy!